The Ins and Outs of Home Insurance in Ireland

The Ins and Outs of Home Insurance in Ireland

When you buy a home, you’ll have many decisions to make. Should you paint the walls blue or white? What kind of mattress do you need for your new bed frame? But perhaps the most important question of all is: How much home insurance do I need? Most people don’t consider this until it’s too late. However, before you sign on the dotted line for your dream home or rental apartment, it’s crucial that you explore what exactly is covered in your policy—and what isn’t.

What is Home Insurance?

Home insurance is a form of property insurance that covers your home, its contents, and your liability. It can also include cover for any legal expenses you might incur if you are involved in a legal dispute.

Home insurance differs from landlord insurance which protects the landlord’s property rather than yours as a tenant or homeowner.

How Much Does Home Insurance Cost?

Most people have a general idea of how much they should be paying for home insurance, but what do you actually get for your money? The price of home insurance varies depending on several factors, including the type of property you own and where it’s located. In general, the further north you live in Ireland the more expensive your property will be to insure.

As well as this there are other factors which can affect how much you pay for home insurance such as:

  • Whether or not any security features (such as CCTV) have been installed at your property
  • If smoke detectors are fitted at all entrances to buildings

How Much do I Need to Insure my Home?

The amount of home insurance you need to carry depends on the cost of rebuilding your house. You can get a quote from an insurer to find out how much you need to insure your home, but generally speaking, the higher the value of your property, the more expensive it will be to rebuild in case of damage or destruction.

How Much is a Premium Based on Age?

The age of the homeowner is one of many factors used to determine premiums. For example, if you’re older and have a mortgage on your house, then your premium may be lower than someone who’s younger and renting.

The reason for this is that insurance companies take into account how likely it is that an older person will have to make a claim on their policy in order to pay off their mortgage. Because homeowners are more likely to own property until they die in Ireland compared with other countries (like the UK), insurers believe there is less chance of them needing financial assistance from their insurer during those years after retirement when they might not be earning as much money each month due to lacklustre investment returns or reduced employment opportunities due to age discrimination in some sectors like retailing.[1][2]

Can my Landlord Require Me to Purchase Home Insurance?

Your landlord can require you to have home insurance. However, they must give you at least 30 days’ notice in writing and provide an explanation of the reasons why they are making this requirement.

The landlord may also specify how much cover they want you to have and what type of insurer they want you to use. For example, if there are specific items in the house which need additional coverage (like jewellery or artwork), then it’s likely that your landlord will require this type of additional protection as part of your policy.

What if I Rent?

If you’re a tenant, your landlord is responsible for insuring the property. This will cover the building and any fixtures, fittings and furniture in it.

You are responsible for insuring your own personal possessions. You can take out a policy to cover them but be aware that most insurers will only pay out if they are stole or damaged by fire or storm damage (not by something like an earthquake).

What if I Live in an Apartment Block or Complex?

If you live in an apartment block or complex, your home insurance will still be valid. You may be able to get a discount if you live in a block of flats. It’s also important to note that if the building doesn’t have its own fire alarm system, your premium could go up slightly.

If there are many floors and balconies in the building, your premium will likely increase as well because it increases risk for damage from falling items or water leaks from higher floors (the latter being more common).

Who Provides Building and Contents Insurance in Ireland?

Building and contents insurance are provided by private companies in Ireland and compare home insurance. The state, however, provides building and contents insurance for public buildings like schools, hospitals, nursing homes and so on.

Contents insurance is also available from a variety of providers including banks and credit unions as well as direct from insurers such as Aviva (formerly known as Norwich Union).

Your home is likely your most valuable asset, so it’s important to protect it with the right insurance.

Your home is likely your most valuable asset, so it’s important to protect it with the right insurance. Home insurance protects you against damage to your property and contents, as well as legal costs if something goes wrong. If someone slips on a wet floor in your house and breaks their arm, for example, a claim could be make against you. However, if they have taken out personal injury cover with an insurer who pays out claims at no cost (as is often the case), then they would not be able to make any claim against you or your home insurance policy.

Homeowners should also consider taking out buildings cover which will pay out towards repairing any damage caused by accidents such as fire or flood – regardless of whether or not someone else has been negligent in causing that damage


I hope this article has helped you understand how home insurance works in Ireland. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. We’d love to hear from you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *